Saturday, June 26, 2010

Jolting Presence

The swimming area at the lake was packed with families & adolescent youth. I gently pulled Gerren along in the water. She was surrounded by a fish-shaped flotation toy and followed by a friend. Our train moved slowly.

Without warning she screamed in the highest pitch, longest duration and intensity I have ever heard in her 2 & 1/2 years of life.

All activity stopped, every eye was on us. "She's ok!" I yelled. "That was delight!" I added. The crowd laughed and continued playing.

The reaction that caused everyone to stop was the same reaction I felt in my body as she screamed. Tension, worry. Then there was the parental reaction "oh, that's too loud, you'll disturb people".

Looking at her I saw pure joy. Being present to her, to all my senses, & to the concern of the group, turned a potentially stressful situation into a playful moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment